November 01, 2009

Costumes, pups and, hmm, I'm tired...

Well, after the high school chaperoning experience, I just felt pooped. Saturday mornings are generally my favorite time of the week (I get to sleep in and there's still a day and a half before I have to be 'up-n-at-em' at work), but this week was kind of ruined by the fact that I had to be organized for the evening festivities.

Here in Pang, there is a definite limit to the time kids are allowed to collect candy at the houses. I heard it was from 5:00 to 6:30, but I'm not quite sure if that's accurate. Anyway, I was prepped by 5:00, and this was my plan: a costume for passing out the booty (hee hee...where did that expression come from anyway) and another for the evening community celebration. So, the candy giving trio? Me (with a head full of pommade, toothpaste, and flour)...
Scarlett...
and Gryphon. Aren't we cute? Well, Gryphon had to wear Scarlett's hand-me-down ladybug outfit, but my little girl had a brand new pumpkin costume; both refused to put up with the hoods, but I think you get the idea anyway.

One thing to know about the north is that the kids are really different in social situations. Although I've heard this, I haven't really witnessed it first-hand...I work with adults. When I was young, I remember ringing doorbells or knocking on Halloween, then chiming in with a 'Trick or Treat!'; it wasn't quite like that here. No, it was more common for the children to walk right in. It was a perfect test for my canine warning system. Here they are, waiting for the next wave...

Anyway, I was supposed to head to the community center with a friend, but she ended up changing plans last minute. After a few calls, I found another ride and headed out for the 7:30 costume parade. I had originally planned for another outfit change, but I was too lazy. Now, the idea of the community celebration is this: everyone gathers and the ones with the most ornate costumes get a number to compete. There are prizes for the worst costume/best costume/costume no one can identify. Well, basically, everyone sits on the floor and a few roam around playing dance music...dance music!! Check it out...
I think this hunter was the school principal...not sure.


Ghoulish bride...


OMG, that kid was the best; he worked it let me tell you! He had the boob bounce, the butt wag, and could actually balance in the heels he must has swiped from his mom or sister! Classic.

Anyway, any more Halloween tales are going to have to wait. I'm heading out for cookies and tea.

No comments: