March 15, 2010

Qiniq and Cracker Jacks...

I read an email today from a guy who said something along the lines of : what does a blogger do when his/her internet is down? That isn't a preface to a 'lightbulb-type' joke...it's an honest question. What do we do indeed?


My good 'ole qiniq modem has reduced itself to flashing lights and currently wavers between 'connected' and 'cable unplugged'. Believe me, I've tried everything. I'll have to head back to the outlet today sometime and get it checked out...I can't, after all, sit at home and moan, nor can I depend on posting from work. Although I do all my writing at lunch, sometimes the time stamp is off at it looks like I'm not actually in class (that means, Louise, that I really am working!).

In high school - grade 10 I believe - I had to read a short story that was really freaky at the time. It was set in the prairies somewhere...flat for as far as the eye could see. The characters: the wife, the husband, and the nightmare mother-in-law all lived in a big farmhouse. One night, in the middle of a winter storm, the husband had to head out to save one of the cows (or some such stupid thing). His wife told him not to worry and that she would keep a light on in the window to find his way back. Her mother, though, had other plans. She convinced her daughter to head to bed and, as soon as fell asleep, the murderous hag turned off the light. The husband's frozen body was found the next day only a meter from the house. Why do I tell you this? Well, other than the strange fact that it has stuck with me for about a baker's dozen years, I thought of it today because it's the sort of weather we're having. You can't see your hand in front of your face (at least you couldn't about 15 minutes ago)...crazy.

I suppose that's it for the northern report of the day; time to move on to bigger and brighter things (such as Cracker Jacks and internet modems).

No comments: